Sometimes when you sit down to work and turn on your computer there is a blank screen that appears. At times you also get an error message on your computer’s blank screen which says “No signal”. This tends to get really frustrating at especially if you are not aware of how to fix the issue.
In today’s article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide to help you fix your blank screen.
So, How to fix Computer Turns On But No Signal to Monitor?
To solve Computer Turns On But No Signal to Monitor, Try to to shut down the computer and switch off the monitor. Disconnect the power supply to both the computer and monitor. Take out the display cable from the monitor and reconnect the cable firmly and switch on the system once again.
Make sure that there is no dust or there in the cable slots. This solution solves the problem most of the time and it should be for you as well.
However, there could be other issues like damaged HDMI cables which we will highlight in the next point.
How to fix a damaged HDMI display cable?
To fix an HDMI cable, take the wire out from the computer and check for any cuts or damages. Inspect the pins in the connector slots as they could be bent. If they are, then try to straighten them out with a tweezer or any other suitable tool.
If the connector is damaged, then you can fix a new connector if you know how to do it.
You can also connect your existing HDMI cable to another monitor and see if it works or not. If it doesn’t, then for sure the wire has gone bad. Damaged HDMI wires can cause serious damage to your computer systems and the best thing to do is to get a brand new one. If you have a curved monitor with 2 hdmi ports, try plugging the cable in either ports!
At times there could be a problem with the plug point too which could lead to this problem. If you feel that the plug point has no issue with it then we would suggest you try replacing a different monitor with your existing one as this could be a monitor-related issue too such as monitor flickering on and off!
If your monitor is still not receiving a signal even after your computer is turned on then you might have to open your computer case and remove and reinstall your video card which at times gets overheated, due to which these issues arise.
How to remove a video card from your computer?
A loose or damaged video can cause numerous issues and here is how you can remove a video card from your computer.
- Turn off the computer and unplug all the connections from any power source
- Open the computer by removing the side panel from the computer case
- Once the computer is opened locate the video card that is located on the bottom of the computer towards the left-hand side
- The video card is secured with a screw that should be opened before removing the video card. During the process, ensure that you do not pull out the card at once but use both hands and pull it out gently
- If you have a new video card then insert the same into the computer or reinsert the old card into the computer again
- Now secure the video card back by tightening the screw and restart your computer to see if the problem is now fixed
If the problem still exists then change your video card and insert a new card. Many times the solutions to such problems might be really simple and basic for example maybe your monitor is not showing any signal because the input source is not correct.
How to change input on Monitor?
To change the input on Monitor:
- Locate and press the Menu button on your monitor
- Here you must find the option for Input Source or Source
- You can navigate up and down using the – or + buttons
- When you do locate the right option, click on it to open the Source menu options
- Now you will see options for HDMI, VGA, Display Port, Component, etc
- Select the port the monitor is connected through
- Save this option and see if the monitor works or not
- If required, restart the computer system to let the changes take effect
When the problem arises of the monitor not getting detected even though the computer is on, make sure you check your monitor’s input source and see that it is connected correctly. If the input source is not connected properly then you will have to unplug it and switch to the right input source.
If this too doesn’t work, then there could be a problem with the Display Drivers. You can follow the next process to fix it.
How to update Display Adaptor driver in Windows 10?
To update the display drivers in Windows 10, follow the below steps
- Launch the Device Manager
- Scroll down to the Display Adapters menu
- Expand it. You might see multiple drivers
- Right-click on one and then select Update Driver Software
- Once that is done, execute the update for all the display adapters mentioned in the list
- Once the installations are complete, restart your computer, connect it to your monitor and see if it works or not
To complete this process, you will need to have a different display connected to your computer. Otherwise, you won’t be able to launch the updates. If you don’t have access to another monitor, then you will probably have to factory reset your monitor.
How to Reset Monitor Settings?
To reset monitor settings:
- Click on the Menu button on the monitor
- You can scroll up and down with the – and + buttons
- The reset option could be in menus like System, Setting, Other Settings, etc
- Once you locate it, reset the monitor. You can restart it and see if it works
This process is used to get the monitor back to its factory settings and if you had made any custom changes, then you will need to repeat the process. You can also try this process at the beginning of the troubleshooting process as it is independent of the computer system like you can use it if your hp chromebook not turning on issue appears!
By the way, here is how to use laptop as monitor – check these easy steps!
By now you would have tried some or most of the solutions mentioned here to get your monitor working. There are many reasons why the monitor is not displaying any signal and most of them can be solved with the solutions above.
However, if you still can’t get your monitor to work then the best bet would be to check if it has a warranty. Take it to an authorized service center and get it repaired. Hopefully, it isn’t a display problem as those can get really expensive to repair! Also, before you go- here is our tutorial on how to connect samsung tv to wifi. You should also know what to do if you lost the usb for wireless mouse!