Screen flickering is a very common issue these days, especially with Monitors. While using the monitor there is a visible change in the screen as the brightness of the screen starts vibrating continuously.
The vibration can continue for a few seconds and can even go up to an hour. This makes it impossible to see the screen and needs the immediate attention of the user.
So, How to Fix Monitor flickering on and off?
To fix a computer monitor which keeps flickering on and off, you have to first ensure that the power cable and the display cable are connected firmly to the monitor. Any loose connections can cause the monitor to flicker.
Alternatively, you should also ensure that the display drivers are up to date, the graphics card sits firmly on the motherboard, and that there is no electronic interference near the monitor!
A monitor flickering on and off usually happens due to 3 major reasons.
- If the connection between your monitor and your computer is loose/bad
- If your display driver is bad
- Or, if your monitor has crashed
Let us now go through all the given methods to understand in detail how to fix monitor flickering on and off.
- Ensure your monitor cable and power cable are securely connected
- Check if the display software is up to date
- Ensure your video card is fixed firmly on the motherboard
- Checking if your monitor is working fine and has not overheated
Let’s understand the steps in detail.
Ensure your monitor cable and power cable are securely connected
Check the cables that are connected to your monitor and your computer. If the cables are loose at any of the ends and not fixed properly, your monitor will tend to flicker on and off. Try taking the cables out and secure them back once again. A lot of times the cables degrade as they get old and might need replacement.
Apart from the monitor cables, it is also important to check your power cables and if they are well connected. Sometimes loose plug points can also be the cause of monitor flickering. In case the problem persists, try using a different power cable to see if the problem lies in the cable or with the monitor. If the flickering continues, try the next method.
Check if the display software is up to date
At times when your display driver is not up to date and an old or faulty display driver is running in your system, you might notice your screen flickering on and off. In such a situation it’s important to remove the driver first.
How to remove a display driver from a Windows computer?
- Switch on the monitor and go to settings
- Click on Update and Security in Control panel in Windows 10
- Click on Recovery towards the left side taskbar
- The Advanced Startup Screen appears under Recovery
- Click on Restart now in Windows 10
- Go back to Advanced options
- Select Startup settings of Windows 10
- Click on restart
Once the computer has restarted your display driver will be removed. It is important to uninstall the driver from Computer as well to remove all the traces of the old driver of the monitor.
How to uninstall a monitor display driver from a Windows computer?
- Open the computer and go to settings
- Click on Device Manager
- Go to Display adapters and double click on it
- Now your graphics card will appear on the list. Right-click on the card and click uninstall
- Select the check button which says delete the driver software
- Click ok
- Restart your system
Once your display driver is uninstalled you will have to reinstall the new updated driver as well.
How to install an updated display driver on a Windows computer?
- Open the settings menu on your computer
- Click on update and security
- Click on check for updates
- Select the update button and wait until you get a notification that your Display driver is updated
By fixing your old display with an updated one you should be able to fix your computer’s screen flickering. If the driver update does not help head to the next method.
Ensuring your video card is fixed firmly on the motherboard
Another reason why your computer screen is flickering on and off could be due to the graphic or video card which is seated on the motherboard. To ensure your video card is well seated
- Switch off your computer completely
- Open the case of the monitor
- Remove the motherboard
- Remove the graphics/video card from the motherboard
- Clean the card and ensure there is no dust or dirt which is sitting on the card
- Slowly re-fix the card onto the motherboard and ensure that it is fixed firmly
- Now put the motherboard back into the monitor and cover the case
- Turn on your pc now to see if the problem is resolved
If your screen still flickers you can conclude that it’s a problem with your graphics card and contact the manufacturer for a replacement/refund or warranty on the graphics card. In case you replace the graphics card with a new graphics card and yet the flicker of the screen continues, then we have to try another method to fix it. On a side note, have you overclocked your monitor or graphics card? Here’s how you can overclock monitor refresh rate.
Checking if your monitor is working fine and has not overheated
All monitors come with a refresh rate at which the computer screen updates the image every second. This is also known as the refresh rate.
While most monitors can handle up to 60Hz refresh rate, the latest computers can handle up to 360Hz refresh rates. Hence, your computer must support a refresh rate which it can easily handle.
You can set these screen refresh rate easily by
- Clicking on the settings menu on your computer
- Click on System settings
- Go to Advanced display settings
- On the Refresh rate dropdown select a rate that is lower than the current one and keep doing it until the flickering stops
- Once it stops click on ok and restart the computer
We really hope you enjoyed reading the article today and found it interesting and helpful. The next time you face the issue of your computer screen flickering on and off try these methods given here for display settings and hopefully you will be able to fix the problem. Also, check out our take on are curved monitors worth it and here is our top pick for the best monitor with 2 hdmi ports!