The second monitor you want to use is not getting detected by Windows 10. This is a common problem with Windows which a lot of users face.
Connecting the second monitor is quite easy as you just have to plug it in to start it, but Windows at times refuses to recognize the second monitor.
So, How to fix Second Monitor Not Detected in Windows 10?
If Windows does not detect the second monitor then in most cases it is a driver-related issue. To update your driver manually:
- Open Device Manager and then click on Device Adapter
- Click on Update driver
- Once it is completed click on done
Windows should now be able to detect the second monitor as well. There are different ways to fix this problem when your second monitor is not getting detected. If updating the driver doesn’t help you then you can try restarting your computer.
Why the second monitor is not getting detected – Hardware Issues
A few reasons why the second monitor is not detected include
- Second monitor is not connected to a power source
- The computer signal cable could be faulty or made of bad material causing pc no signal to monitor issue
- The monitor could be defective or might have a loose connection problem
- You may have chosen the wrong input channel
- The auxiliary output of the graphics card could be faulty
Why the second monitor is not getting detected – Software issues
Software issues that result in a 2nd monitor not getting detected include
- The driver could be faulty or may have crashed
- The wrong driver could have been installed
- The graphics card has malfunctioned
- The refresh rates of both the monitors are different
- The project mode could be wrongly set
- The display settings on your computer have been set wrong
Also, you can check out our guide if your screen keeps flashing black.
How to troubleshoot if a second monitor is not detected by Windows 10?
The best way to troubleshoot the issue of a second monitor not getting detected is by switching off the computer, reconnecting all monitors, and then booting it once again. This fixes most issues.
Before changing the settings of your second monitor, we suggest you check the basic troubleshooting issues to fix the issue such as
- Ensuring the monitor is turned on and is connected with the power cable
- Restart the computer to see if Windows can detect it
- Check if the monitor is plugged into the correct input port
- Ensure the cable you are using is not faulty and is working fine
- Remove the cables from the system and them back firmly again after few seconds
- Connect the second monitor to another computer to see if the problem exists
- Try changing the ports if the monitor has more than one port
If none of the above problems exist we will suggest you try the following methods to fix the problem such as checking the graphics card and ensuring that the device manager is listing the right graphic card that you have installed. In case you are using a smart tv as monitor (tutorial), you can still use this method.
How to check the Graphics card in Windows 10?
To check the graphics card in your Windows 10 follow the instructions given below
- Navigate to your computer settings and go-to system
- Click on display and go to the multiple display section
- Select the advanced display settings now
- Here you will get all the Display information
- Check the graphics card information and confirm the model of your card
In case the graphics driver is not the same as what you have installed you will have to update your driver.
How to update Graphics Driver in Windows 10?
To update the graphics driver in Windows 10:
- Go to settings and then go to Update and security
- Click on Windows update and check the view optional updates
- Select the newer graphics driver that is available
- Click on download and install
Check if Windows is now able to detect the second monitor once the driver is updated. If not then try the next method which is manually detecting the monitor settings.
How to manually detect Monitor Settings in Windows 10?
To manually detect the monitor settings in Windows 10:
- Click on start and go to the settings option on your computer
- Go to the systems menu and click on the Display tab
- Go to the Multiple displays option
- Look for the detect button and click on duplicate the displays
- Click on ok
Windows should now be able to detect the second monitor. If this doesn’t work then we have to ensure that both the monitor’s refresh rates are the same. Also, here is how to use a laptop as a second monitor – our tutorial on this.
How to ensure both monitors have the same refresh rate in Windows 10?
To make sure that both your monitors have the same refresh rate, you will need to go into the Display Settings and modify the refresh rate numbers.
Here is how you can do it.
- Go to the keyboard and press the Windows key + I key together
- A pop-up window will open. Click on settings
- Go to the display section and click on advanced display settings
- Select the option Display adapter properties for Display 1, and Display adapter properties for Display 2
- Here you will be able to check the refresh rates for both the monitors
- If the rates are different then change one of the rates to match the second monitor
- Click on apply and then OK
How to Rollback the graphics driver update in Windows?
To roll back the device driver as it might not be compatible with your system we have to do the following
- Press Windows key + X together
- Go to Device Manager and select Display Adapters settings
- Expand the Display adapters settings to see the available devices
- Now Right-click on the display adapter and choose properties
- Go back to the Drivers tab
- Now select Rollback driver and click on confirm
Your second monitor should now be able to get detected by Windows 10. If none of the methods provided here helps you in resolving the issue, then you may want to seek some professional help. Also, check if your monitor has a warranty.
How to restart your computer?
To restart your computer just follow the simple steps given below
- Save all the documents or files that you have been working on so that they are not lost
- Go to your start button and click on it
- Select the option Restart
Your computer will now get restarted. Once completed check if the second monitor is now being detected. You can also do a force restart of your computer if the usual restart isn’t happening for any reason which is something we recommend if you are facing disney plus sound issues.
How to force restart your computer?
To force restart your computer
- Press and hold the computer’s power button for few seconds
- The computer will begin shutting down now
- Wait for 30-60 seconds before you start the computer again
Now before I get into the final segment here’s another monitor-related problematic article – screenshot only one monitor.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article today and found it helpful. So, the next time you face any issue with Windows 10 not detecting your second monitor, we hope that the methods we have provided will be able to guide you in fixing the issue. Before you go, check out our fix on google play service keeps stopping error and also check why is my chromebook not turning on?